Why build a gatbsy theme?
I have some longer-term projects I've been wanting to create. These are about learning, but sometimes they are also about immediate needs. When those can be teachable... we will do this on stream.
Here is a breakdown of what I'm thinking for our first one.
I learned about themes from this video, primarily:
Youtube Video: Introducing Gatsby Themes (duration: 33:43)
I also learned from these people in my community (contact links will be updated as I can)
- The whole Party Corgi Community
When you need one
- Common functionality you keep using on several sites
- Someone else's functionality you would like to borrow
- Create fucntionality you would like to share
We need one
We have some common things across 3 gatsby sites already, here are the immediate candidates:
- Sourcing from named directories
- Styled components
- Image handling in posts
We might need several more
- Tags, categories
- Notes and digital garden
- Contact forms
- Data sourcing from something other than markdown files
- Payment options
- Newsletters and signup
YOU might need this too
Think about the "stuff" separate from your site. Do you:
- Have a landing page, contact page, about page?
- Do you want to quickly add thoughts, notes, open discussion pages?
- Do you have a desire to promote a newsletter?
- Have you ever consolidated a set of short notes into a full blog post?
- Could you incorporate a store for purchasing content?
- Could you add authentication and authorization for protected content?
- Do you have a reasonable way to manage comments (if you choose to enable them)?
Learn more with me
Quarter 2 of 2020 is a reboot of my stream. We will have 10 to 12 weeeks on each project to architect, build and SHIP a thing to production.
This project is slated as our first attempt.
- Introducing Gatsby Themes (duration: 33:43)